Friday, June 13, 2008

I have arrived in NYC

After my very first Amtrak experience, I am finally in New York City for my summer adventure. The train ride was pretty cool. I had breakfast and lunch in the dining car and met some really interesting people. It's a very social atmosphere on a long-distance train trip, much different from a plane ride or a commuter train. My seat mate was a student from Russia who lives in NYC, and he was fun to chat with. I slept a good bit too. I had taken some Dramamine so I could read and use my laptop without getting motion sickness...but mostly it just made me very drowsy (as Dramamine does.)

I got into Penn Station around 8:00 last night, and my cousin met me. We schlepped my luggage on the subway to her apartment on 3rd Ave. Then, we went for a yummy Mexican dinner and margaritas. After that, I was ready to crash.

Today, I started unpacking my clothes, and I went grocery shopping. Now, I am sitting in my cousin's apartment waiting for a UPS package. (Exciting way to start my time in the Big Apple huh?) As I was walking back from my grocery shopping, I passed a little deli near the apartment. The front door was open, and there was a little kitty sitting in the doorway, watching people walk by. He/She (I didn't stop to check) was so adorable, and it made me miss my cat Harley something fierce. Wish I could have brought him with me. And yes...I am going to miss my husband very much as well, but at least he and I can talk on the phone or email. Aside from the obvious fact that Harley cannot use a cell phone or computer, he would probably only take the time to chat with me when it suited him. Cats!

2 comments:

JoAnne said...

Glad you arrived safely in NY! You'll have to send a pic of those crocs...they DO sound cute :)

Karen McLaughlin said...

Glad to hear you got there safely. You are about to embark on an adventure that you have always dreamed of since you were a little girl (and used to come over to Aunt Karen's!!) I am very out of the loop....but if they still say, "Break a leg" then "Break a leg!!" :-)