Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day in New York

Well, I called my dad on the phone today. This will be the first year in a long time that I did not see my dad in person on Father's Day (or at least very close to Father's Day.) I miss him. Hope he had a good day. He told me a little bit about his car troubles, what's been happening with the waitresses at his local watering hole...the Bob Evans across from his apartment, and then we commiserated about the Indians for a bit. We both would have liked to see Cliff Lee get his 11th win yesterday.

Later on, my cousin and I ventured downtown for the Egg Roll and Egg Cream Festival. A portion of Eldridge was blocked off. There was entertainment on the street and the aforementioned egg rolls and egg creams. (I liked the egg roll, but I could have done without the egg cream. Mine had a certain Milk of Magnesia quality to it.) On our way down the street toward the festivities, we passed a school that had left a large amount of garbage on the sidewalk...text books, old desks, workbooks, etc. My cousin noticed many old-school, pull-down wall maps and diagrams, and she had to go through them. She giggled with delight as she chose three of them to bring back and hang up in the apartment. One was a map of Africa. One was a map of the United States. The last of her finds was a full diagram of the digestive system. We about lost it with laughter! We hung it up in the kitchen this evening.

The highlight of my day (aside from chatting with my dad) was seeing a man on the subway wearing an Ohio State football tee shirt with a picture of the obligatory Coach Jim Tressel sweater vest. The tee shirt read "Fear the Vest." I couldn't resist. I let out an "O-H!" He replied "I-O" and threw in a "Go Bucks!" I LOVED IT! I then told him that my husband was a Buckeye, and I attended Youngstown State University during Coach Tressel's winning tenure there. He agreed that Tressel was the man. That made my day. It didn't top my Saturday by any means, but it made me feel at home away from home.

Enjoy the pictures of my cousin and others digging through the school trash on the sidewalk and the photo of her hanging the digestive tract in our kitchen. We think it will help us stick to our diets. :)



1 comment:

lam_142 said...

I would have SOOOOO raided the school stuff! That is totally awesome! Glad you are having a great time! I may have a job lined up for the fall....More on that later! I'll keep readin' on! :o)