Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Story Behind My Cabaret

Since the plan is to write a lot about my cabaret experience over the next couple weeks, I figured I better provide a little bit of backround information.

In the spring of 2008, I signed up for an 8-week workshop called "Cabaret 101" at PlayhouseSquare in Cleveland. I had always been curious about the art of cabaret and I love to sing, so I figured why not?! The workshop was taught by Lora Workman, a cabaret performer and member of PlayhouseSquare's Education and Outreach staff, and Charles Eversole, musician and Artistic Director of Cleveland's Singing Angels, and the eight weeks culminated in a performance showcase, in which each participant performed his/her own 15-minute set. Long story short, it was an amazing experience for me! I found that I really loved cabaret and felt right at home in that setting.

While working on my 15-minute set for class, I was inspired with the idea to expand my love of shoes into a full 50 minute solo cabaret. When I mentioned this to Lora toward the end of the workshop, her response was, "You have to do that!" Of course, other things were on the horizon for me at that moment, namely my summer at the Esper Studio which would lead to the eventual move to New York. So, I put the shoe cabaret on the back burner for a little while and focused on other things.

It was approximately one year ago that I started seriously working on developing my solo cabaret. I began to develop a script, think about what songs I wanted to sing, bounced ideas off of famliy and friends, had a few happy hour brainstorming sessions with Lora. Last summer, I got together with Charles (or Chuck as he is known among friends) and we bagan to work on music. My script went through a couple incarnations. Songs changed over time. I got my friend and fellow actor Doug Kusak on board to add his brilliance to a couple of comic bits in the show. The move to New York happened. I travelled back and forth for a couple weekend rehearsals and worked in the city with my voice teacher, Sally, and my friend and accompanist, Caitlin, to keep the music work moving forward.

And now...in less than 1 week, "Sole Mates" will make its debut in Kennedy's Cabaret at PlayhouseSquare! All I can say is, WOW! I can't believe the moment is almost here. The time went by so fast!

Tomorrow starts tech week. More details and photos to follow. Stay tuned!

No comments: