Monday, July 7, 2008

Lovely 4th of July Weekend

Despite a little bit of dreary, grey weather, I had a very nice holiday on Friday. I went out and about early in the day, did some shopping, actually made it to the gym. In the evening, I invited my friend Megan over, and she and I and my cousin had a cookout with the building super, who lives alone downstairs. He has a lovely deck off the back of his apartment, and we grilled some chicken, ate potato salad and veggies, drank some wine. The super is a sweet older guy, funny, has lots of stories. He is also really into theater, so he got a kick out of talking to Megan and me about our experiences at the Esper Studio, our theater experiences back home, favorite actors, etc.

Later that night, we all hopped on the subway and headed several blocks downtown to try to find a good spot to watch the fireworks over the East River. After a bit of walking (actually a little running, so as not to miss anything), we found a place and took in the display. It was dazzling! I guess to some people fireworks are fireworks, but these were special to me. There we were, the four of us huddled against a railing at the end of E 56th St. (Maybe it was 57th...I'm not sure...all the running.) It was crowded. It was raining a little bit, but everyone there was in good spirits, like we were all one big happy family. As I watched the fireworks explode and spill color and light over the river, I felt New York City tugging at my heartstrings. (So, what else is new, right?) I wished Jeremy was there with me. I felt like I really belonged. I heard a voice whisper inside my head that this is where I am supposed to be...no matter how big and intimidating the city can be sometimes, no matter how nervous I am about leaving the Cleveland theater community and trying to tackle a much bigger animal, no matter that some friends and relatives don't understand or approve. Someone and something bigger than me is calling me here.

It may not be easy to get us here. There are a lot of things that Jeremy and I will have to figure out, a lot of "ducks" for us to get in a row. We've talked about it, and as long as we support each other and make decisions as a team...that's all that matters. If NYC is where we're meant to be, all those other things will find a way to take care of themselves.

The rest of the weekend was nice as well...busy. I went to a tap class. My cousin and I went to see an Off Off Broadway play that was interesting. In an effort to be positive, I am going to keep my comments to myself. I will share something that my cousin said. After having seen Amadeus in NJ with me several weeks ago (which she loved) and then seeing the show we saw this past weekend, she said she feels like she has experinced the full spectrum.

No comments: