Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Fond Farewell...and other musings.

I have a friend in Cleveland, Leslie, who is the organist at my church. Anyway, Leslie has an email list, and she sends out occasional emails commenting on life, her experiences, things she finds odd, etc. She is really incredibly witty, and has such an interesting perspective on things, that Jeremy and I (and maybe other people as well) keep telling her that she should start a blog.

Anyway, Leslie's emails are always formatted in a series of bullet points. Some of the bullet points flow from one to the other, and some of them are random thoughts. I have a number of things to comment on/add to my blog today, so I have decided to "borrow" her bullet point format...just for now. (You know Leslie, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)

* On Wednesday, Suzanne assigned our class new acting partners. My acting partner was originally a young man named Aiman. Aiman is 20 years old, from Holland, with family originally from Morocco. Aiman is very sweet, and we worked very well together.
* On the first day of acting class, Suzanne told us you never forget your first acting partner. That is definitely true. Farewell Amiman. It has been a pleasure working with you!
* My new acting partner is named Jackson. Jackson is from Chicago, and he is a software engineer. That makes me giggle, because Jeremy is a software engineer but would never be caught dead in an acting class! He prefers to experience theater as an audience member.
* In an effort to not swear so much, Aiman will often use the word "ships" and an expletive. I find this humorous, because I will often use the word "boogers" in the same context.
* For instance, if I were to spill coffee on myself or accidentally drop my cell phone, I might exclaim, "Oh boogers!" If Aiman is frustrated with an acting exercise, he will yell, "Ships!"
* I wonder if Jackson has his own curse word or if he simply curses. I guess I'll find out.
* On the subway the other evening, there was a woman reading the book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was hardcover, I think the same edition that I have. In fact, I brought that book to NYC with me, but have not had a chance to crack it open.
* I have read it once before, and I love that book! It is written in such a way that you are really drawn into the surroundings. You can hear the sounds, smell the smells, see the people as if they were in the room with you. I have never been to Savannah, GA, but that book makes me want to go. I love the eccentricity!
* I also rather enjoyed the movie...which is odd for me with books turned into films. Kevin Spacey is amazing to watch, and HELLO....John Cusack!
* Why is it that no matter what day of the week or what time of day it is, I always seem to just miss the 6 train? It never fails. I will be rushing down the subway steps, just as the 6 is leaving.
* Okay, so not EVERY time I try to catch the 6, but 9 times out of 10.
* You know one thing I have noticed about people in New York? Some of them can walk incredibly slow on the sidewalk, but as soon as they get to an intersection, they will dart out in front of oncoming cars...regardless of the traffic signal. This especially happens around Times Square.
* Aiman once said that New Yorkers always seem to be in a hurry, but if something is free, they will wait in line for hours. I would venture to say that is not only true in New York, but elsewhere as well.
* This morning, I ran down to the Duane Reade near the apartment. They were particularly friendly in there this morning. The security guard at the door greeted me with a smile and hello. He even opened the door for me as I was leaving. The cashier was also very pleasant...sincerely pleasant. Friendly customer service always blows me away, whether here, at home in Cleveland, anywhere.
* The one negative about my Duane Reade experience this morning...they were playing a Backstreet Boys song over the store audio system. Ick! I thought my ears were going to bleed. Now that silly song and the image of way-too-pretty, 20-something guys singing on a stage for a bunch of 13-year-olds is going to be in my head all day!

No comments: