Monday, July 28, 2008

Last Day of Classes

Today is my very last acting class as part of the William Esper Studio Summer Intensive 2008. I am a little bittersweet.

I had my exit interview with Suzanne on Friday, and that went very well. She had some very nice things to say about me and the work I have done this summer. She also said she would love to have me in her acting class as in the full two-year program. I told her that I could not start this fall. (Classes will begin again in September.) However, I told her I would be very interested in coming back and studying in the future. (More on that later...)

At any rate, I thought I'd commeorate my last day of acting class by mentioning a few of the people in my class whose work has astounded me. Everyone in my class is worth mentioning, but that would take way too long. so here are a few that have particularly stood out.

Aiman and Jackson - My acting partners. What else can I say? It has been quite a journey working with both of them. Jackson is very free and open, willing to explore. Aiman has an unbridled enthusiasm for life, and he and I developed a kind of "big sister/kid brother" rapport.

Lina - Lina is from Denmark. She is remarkable...very natural, unaffected. There is no pretense or sense of trying to "act." She just opens up and lets herself experience things. She's amazing to watch.

Shuhei - Shuhei is one of the most creative and artistic individuals in my class. Beyond right-brain...he is simply on a different level than the rest of us, as far as imagination.

Gillian - Gillian is a bit of a firecracker. You never know what is going to happen with her, as far as the classroom exercises go. She is also extremely imaginative and has a very strong "actor's faith." She not only accepts the imaginary circumstances, she owns them...comepletely embraces and immerses herself in them.

There are others, and maybe I will share more later. Right now, the apartment is kind of stuffy, and Jeremy and I are itching to get out and experience more of the city before my last class this afternoon.

Ah...why does it have to come to an end? I feel like I have barely begun to chip away at the iceburg.

No comments: