Sunday, October 12, 2008

I suppose I should keep up with this blogging thing...

When I came home from New York in August, my blog kind of got sidetracked...catching up with family and friends, jumping into rehearsals and more auditions, projects around the house...you know how it goes. Anyway, I have actually had a couple people mention that they keep checking my blog to see if I have written anything new. I guess I didn't figure anyone would be interested in hearing what I had to say once I was back home from the Big Apple and seeing folks face to face on a regular basis. At the same time, I do love to write...so I guess as long as I have an interested audience, I'll keep it up.

What have I been up to since coming back to Cleveland? Loads and loads! My first couple months back home have been filled with incredibly rewarding and inspiring experiences. (More on all that later.)

What is on my mind today? Music.

Jeremy and I went to see The Old 97s in concert at the Beachland Ballroom on Friday night. (Great show!) It was the first real concert I had attended since last fall, when Jeremy and I saw Ryan Adams. (Another great show!) For me, the main attraction to The Old 97s is their lead singer, Rhett Miller. He is a very charismatic frontman and a great alt-country/rock singer and songwriter. He actually has two solo albums, and while I do like the band, I think I enjoy his solo stuff a bit more. It's more ecclectic and packs a bit more of an emotional punch. If you've never checked out Rhett Miller's music, do it NOW! (Okay, you can wait until you're done reading my blog. His solo records are The Instigator and The Believer.) If you like what you hear, The Old 97s are worth a listen as well. At any rate, it was a fun concert, good crowd, high energy. I kind of giggled when the band first took the stage, as I discovered that Rhett Miller and I were sporting almost the exact same hairdo...his bangs were a little longer.

On the way home from the concert, I commented to Jeremy that the bassist, Murray Hammond, reminded me of the nerdy guy from R.E.M. No sooner did I have the sentence out of my mouth, when Jeremy said he was thinking the exact same thing. What can I say, we think alike. I think that is one of the reasons I married him. However, it did take us both a couple moments to come up with the nerdy guy's name. "Let's see, there's Michael Stipe, of course...Peter Buck...Bill Berry is the drummer who left the band... Oh! Mike Mills! That's his name!"

1 comment:

Megan DePetro said...

Glad to see you a writing again. :) It's been hard for me too since leaving NYC. I feel like it's so easy to fall back into the old routine. There are definitely some things that have changed though. It might be worth writing about. I think that you have inspired me once again!!